Transmission & Distribution Manager - Relocation to Rapid City, SD
Company: Black Hills Energy
Location: Bossier City
Posted on: September 5, 2019
In this important role the Manager of Transmission & Distribution
will provide overall leadership, management and direction for the
Transmission and Distribution Planning Departments. Manage and
direct all transmission, sub-transmission and distribution planning
activities, including the preparation and development of long-term
transmission plans to meet the needs of all customers for electric
utilities located in South Dakota, Wyoming and Colorado. Manage and
direct all department activities and provide support to other
departments to ensure compliance with WECC, NERC, FERC and state
regulatory requirements. Represent the company at regional and
sub-regional planning groups. Actively participate as a member of
the Planning, Policy & Strategy leadership team.
SALARY GRADE: $89,400 - $124,260 (Determined by the knowledge,
skills and abilities of the applicant.)
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: Planning, Policy & Strategy Senior
Rapid City, South Dakota: You'll find that it is the ideal
community to live, work and do business in. With hiking trails, the
Black Hills, Mount Rushmore and Badlands National Park in your
backyard, there are endless opportunities to enjoy nature.
- Rapid City - Hidden Gem of the West:
- Rapid City Chamber of Commerce:
- A Comprehensive Relocation Plan is offered for this position!
Our benefits include but are not limited to: home finding trip,
transportation of household goods, temporary housing expenses,
destination apartment search assistance, paid time off to move,
transition and spousal career support, home finder and purchase
assistance, relocation adjustment allowance, destination new
purchase closing costs. Depending on individual circumstances, our
benefit may also include trips home during temporary housing,
renter's lease cancellation assistance, or home marketing and sale
closing cost assistance and/or purchase closing cost assistance.
Contents of our relocation program are subject to change and may
vary based on position. ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Provide leadership, guidance, and supervisory support to the
transmission and distribution planning supervisors as they manage
day to day activities of the department for grid reliability,
including support of growth projects and grid modernization.
- Lead the transmission and distribution project origination
effort in support of the electric utility capital and strategic
plan. Provide sound recommendations and justification for capital
budgets and strategic plans associated with transmission,
sub-transmission projects and distribution projects with particular
focus on developing detailed capital plans of five years or
- Develop the O&M and capital budget for the Transmission and
Distribution Planning Departments.
- Support regional transmission coordination and market
development activities of the company.
- Provide key support in maintaining compliance with the Black
Hills electric utility OATTs and FERC rulemakings pertaining to
transmission planning. Coordinate with Transmission Policy and
Regulatory departments on rule makings, compliance filings,
technical hearings and other activities as needed. SUPPLEMENTAL
- Key activities of Transmission Planning Department include the
- Develop and execute computer-based load flow and short circuit
studies required to fully evaluate the electric transmission system
to establish short-term and long-term transmission project
proposals to be included in the strategic plan.
- Complete studies associated with the interconnection of new
load, generation or transmission facilities.
- Perform technical report writing in support of study efforts
and regulatory policy and technical workshops, rule makings and
- Represent BHE's interests in national, regional and local
committees, task forces and working groups.
- Manage project work and maintain relationships with consultants
and retained experts.
- Manage and maintain full compliance with all applicable FERC,
NERC and WECC Reliability Standard requirements as a technical
subject matter expert and Primary Standard Owner.
- Key activities of the Distribution Planning Department include
- Perform engineering studies for BHE's electric distribution
system. Evaluate system performance and recommend engineering
solutions to address system risks, reliability and load growth over
a five to ten year planning horizon for inclusion in the strategic
plan. Lead the development and execution of standardizing
distribution planning practices among the three electric
- Manage and maintain the electric distribution system model
software to complete coordination studies, fault current studies
and load flow analyses. Coordinate with GIS and IT to maintain the
distribution model accuracy and updating the model's equipment
- Lead the development and implementation of distribution
planning best practices related to Distributed Energy Resources
(DERs) and storage, including IEEE 1547, with consideration and
support for distribution automation tools and Advanced Distribution
Management Systems (ADMS). ADDITIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Perform Outage Response Leader duties and provide outage
support to Reliability Center personnel.
- Ensure strong communications between the Transmission and
Distribution Planning Departments and the Engineering Services and
Reliability Center staff.
- Provide technical input into the Black Hills electric utilities
resource planning efforts and transmission related strategy.
- Provide regulatory support functions by preparing data
responses and expert testimony on transmission related issues.
- Assist in the planning and administration of South Dakota and
Wyoming 69 kV Distribution Agreements with the South Dakota and
Wyoming cooperative participants. QUALIFICATIONS:
- 7-10 years of electric utility experience with a thorough
knowledge of transmission planning and operations and/or
distribution planning and operations.
- Experience with managing and maintaining WECC, NERC and FERC
- Experience with power flow & dynamics software application such
as Siemens PTI PSS/E, GE PSLF or PowerWorld. Experience with
Siemens PTI is preferred.
- Experience with distribution planning software, GIS, DER
integration and grid modernization planning.
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering or Business required, or
equivalent combination of education and experience required.
- Bachelor's Degree in Electrical Engineering preferred.
- Power Systems emphasis preferred.
- Master's degree preferred.
- Professional Engineer (P.E.) license preferred.
- Must possess and maintain a valid driver's license and a
driving record satisfactory to the Company and its insurers.
- Electrical system and bulk interconnected system design and
- Knowledge with power system simulation software programs
(Siemens PTI preferred).
- Knowledge of FERC, NERC, and WECC standards, policies and
- Ability to develop, monitor and accomplish challenging goals,
and effectively manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Self-motivated, detailed, highly organized and the ability to
self-direct workload and prioritize department needs.
- Excellent computer skills; strong oral and written
- Possess unquestionable integrity and excellent judgment.
- Excellent interpersonal relations skills with ability to
articulate priorities, communicate and influence. Ability to create
- Demonstrate the ability to represent the Company in front of
various stakeholders: employee groups, customers, regulatory
agencies, governmental officials, and industry associations.
- Requires travel within the electric utility service territories
(South Dakota, Wyoming and Colorado) and for support of corporate
- Perform and supervise work on or in close proximity to
energized electrical facilities. MENTAL/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND
The mental and physical demands described here are representative
of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform
the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may
be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the
Mental Requirements: Ability to understand, remember, apply oral
and/or written instructions or other information, and communicate
routine factual information. Ability to understand complex problems
and to collaborate and explore alternative solutions. Ability to
make decisions which have significant impact on the immediate
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is
continuously (67% or more) required to: use fingers and hands,
communicate, and have close visual acuity. Employee is frequently
(34-66%) required to: reach, push/pull, ascend/descend stairs,
position self to access lower items, and move about the office.
Employee must be able to operate routine office equipment including
computers and similar equipment. Must be able to routinely perform
this work for an average of 6-8 hours per day
and occasional extended hours as necessary. Must be capable of
regular, reliable, and timely attendance.
Specific lifting abilities required by this job include: Sedentary
work..... click apply for full job details
Keywords: Black Hills Energy, Bossier City , Transmission & Distribution Manager - Relocation to Rapid City, SD, Executive , Bossier City, Louisiana
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!